In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cantar al estilo tirolés
- He yodelled manfully.
- Shoot a full frame of the Swiss Alps, or zoom in on your friend yodeling.
- Remembering the advice of a friend whose cabin had been situated in a cow field, I attempted his never-fail cow-luring technique: I yodeled.
- For her encore, after performing about six songs, she yodeled for a minute and left.
- No Eurovision would be complete without yodelling.
- There's even a hidden track of some girl yodelling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.