In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(belonging to one person)(singular, familiar) tuyo(singular, familiar) tuya(plural, familiar) tuyos(plural, familiar) tuyas(singular, formal) suyo(singular, formal) suya(plural, formal) suyos(plural, formal) suyasis this yours? — ¿esto es tuyo/suyo?
- yours is here — el tuyo/la tuya/el suyo/la suya está aquí
- that habit of yours — esa costumbre tuya
- a friend of yours — un amigo tuyo/suyo
- You simply didn't have a choice but to sit down with a friend of yours.
- Because he's talking about a younger brother of yours and a connection with him.
- Time to let that inner child of yours out from the basement.
- Is that a concern of yours?
- Are they the roles you want to continue playing or is that a deliberate choice of yours to put out that image to get roles for those sort of films?
- Give her all the stuff out of your apartment that belongs to her and get all of yours out of hers if you can.
- For those freakish friends of yours without e-mail, follow up with a printed invite.
- What is going to be your new approach and style in this new venture of yours?
- A popular saying mentions that the one who gives you a piece of bread in times of hunger, this one is a real brother or friend of yours.
- Remember this - If you see someone without a smile then give them one of yours!
- I remember talking to a former playing colleague of yours at Preston, right-winger Les Campbell.
- Well, I will pray for you and that your heart will continue to be happy in this first new chair of yours.
- I guess I have to be a sexist to accept that statement of yours.
- They would always start by saying, I have a son who is a big fan of yours, Mr. Jackson.
- And I can see they're really triggering that overstimulated brain of yours.
- Thus armed with a powerful mandate, I want to talk to you about this novel of yours.
- Aren't you curious to see how a child of yours will turn out?
- That hasn't happened in my case, and I know it hasn't happened in the case of yours.
- So, take off your shirt, loosen the belt and evaluate that tummy of yours.
- That oh-so active imagination of yours could land you in some hot water.
2(belonging to more than one person)(singular, formal) suyo(singular, formal) suya(plural, formal) suyos(plural, formal) suyas(singular, familiar) suyo América Latina(singular, familiar) suya América Latina(singular, familiar) vuestro España(singular, familiar) vuestra España(plural, familiar) suyos América Latina(plural, familiar) suyas América Latina(plural, familiar) vuestros España(plural, familiar) vuestras Españayours are here, children — los suyos / los de ustedes están aquí, niños América Latina
- is he a friend of yours? — ¿es amigo de ustedes / suyo?
3(in letters)yours of the 20th August — su carta / la suya del 20 de agosto
- yours, Daniel — un abrazo, Daniel
The three translations of yours reflect the gender and number of the noun they are standing for; yours is translated by tuyo, tuya, tuyos, tuyas, suyo, suya, suyos, suyas, vuestro, vuestra, vuestros, vuestras, depending on the meaning being translated, and what is being referred to.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.