In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1céfiro masculino literario
- All kinds of weather conditions marked the week, from strong storm fronts, to gentle zephyrs and horrendous wind-shifts, turning 180 degrees.
- Anything less than a wind of 30 miles per hour is considered but a gentle zephyr.
- Crickets were chirruping, a soft zephyr was softly blowing the tree branches, and everything was quiet.
- Leaves swirled around his feet, dancing in the gentle zephyr.
- Their magenta leaves swayed from the gentle zephyr that crossed their path.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.