In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Reserve some space for colorful annuals like zinnia, marigold, calendula, alyssum, and cosmos.
- To carry the container plantings through the last remaining warm days, replant them with late-summer annuals such as cosmos, marigolds, salvias, or zinnias.
- Sometimes I mix a few of the flowers with marigolds and zinnias for a late summertime dinner table bouquet.
- The color scheme is rich yellow and dark red, from plants such as coreopsis, creeping zinnia, ‘Garnet’ penstemon, pineapple sage, rudbeckia, and yarrow.
- She grows low or trailing annuals like alyssum, lobelias, and petunias along the edges of the beds, with taller cosmos, poppies, and zinnias behind.
- Sow annual flowers such as asters, cosmos, zinnias and marigolds as soon as the frost has passed and the air begins to warm up.
- Annuals and perennials such as snapdragons, daisies, zinnias, and, of course, peonies and roses are old favorites.
- Goldfinches also feed on the seed of goldenrod, coreopsis, cosmos, zinnias, dandelions and other weedy plants.
- Sow frost-tender annuals, such as sunflowers. zinnias and cosmos, when all danger of frost is past, night temperatures are in the 50s and days are warm.
- But then I put in a few rows of zinnias to sell at a farmers' market, and was surprised at how well they sold.
- Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.
- A brand new cutting garden will contain an assortment of dahlias, zinnias and petunias.
- This day we had frost, and the zinnias, dahlias, and blue ageratum died.
- On the opposite side of the pathway, zinnias and shorter varieties of sunflowers - great for cutting - grow in an informal row.
- A black and green garden collection of 96 plants costs £120 and includes dark dahlias, cosmos, perilla and scabiosa and green euphorbias, gladiolus and zinnia.
- Cosmos and zinnias are good choices too; they're great for cutting, and the old-fashioned annuals attract beneficial insects.
- Sunflowers, zinnias, cosmos, chrysanthemums, even roses all bloom in the fall and make terrific bouquets.
- It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.
- Warm-season annuals such as marigolds, impatiens and zinnias are adapted to bloom even during the hottest weather.
- If you're really fond of vibrant colours in your garden, none dazzle brighter than zinnias.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.