In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Polish zloty is the world's best-performing currency this year, gaining 16 percent against the euro and 25 percent against the dollar.
- If the police or authorities notice them moonlighting, then the employee faces a 5,000 zloty fine.
- President Lech Kaczynski and Poland's parliament each pledged a million zlotys in support for the victims.
- The Polish economy has been under pressure and the zloty has fallen by about 10 per cent against the euro since the start of June.
- The nurses are demanding an increase of 500 zlotys a month.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.