In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the zodiac — el zodíaco / zodiaco
- a chart of the zodiac — una carta astral
- the signs of the zodiac — los signos del zodíaco / zodiaco
- But Frye's dreams of systematizing and co-ordinating a literary universe also rose to meet counterparts in Frances Yates's 1967 account of the zodiacs and theatres of the encyclopaedic memory systems of Bruno and Camillo.
- You don't need neon zodiacs and other accoutrements either.
- The zodiac, as drawn by an astrologer, also resembles a dial.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.