In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The romance of Mpondo history - or that of the Sotho or Xhosa or Zulu - was that they retained some of their land and their culture.
- Thank you to all my thousands of supporters, my people, all the farmers and all the Tswanas and Zulus who love me.
- Wars against the Zulus in South Africa or against the Chinese in Indo-China seemed to be merely a waste of money and troops, with no clear European pay-off.
- The Matabeles are an off-shoot of the once mighty Zulus who conquered most of southern Africa in the early 19th Century.
- Indians and Zulus, Xhosas and coloureds, Anglos and Afrikaners are so geographically and economically integrated that they could not be parted without catastrophic consequences.
- The Ndebeles consider themselves part of the Zulu nation and would ideally like to break away and form a new country with the Zulus in South Africa.
- The resurgence of traditional practices is confirmation that like the other native communities of Africa, the Zulus feel renewed pride in their history and culture.
- The Ngoni, originally from South Africa, escaped from the Boers and Zulus and settled in Eastern Zambia.
- The Zulus recognize the existence of a supreme being.
- The British endured similar military embarrassment at the hands of Indians, Afghans, Zulus and Boers.
- The great rivals to the Shonas are the Ndebeles, who are offshoots of the Zulus.
- While intergroup tensions over resources, entitlements, and political dominance remain, those conflicts are as likely to pit Zulu against Zulu as Zulu against Xhosa or African against Afrikaner.
- This battle, pitting the British against the native Zulus, has been thoroughly analyzed throughout the years.
- The effect is, as his guitarist Xola Nkabinde admits, ‘Johnny Clegg knows more about Zulu custom than many urban Zulus today’.
- But once again, neither the Zulus nor the Plains Indians had artillery.
- For thousands of years, warriors, such as the Vikings, Zulus, Native Americans, Samurai and many others, have followed a tradition of decorating their instruments of war.
- Under his leadership in the 1840s, the Swazis expanded their territory to the Northwest and stabilized the southern frontier with the Zulus.
- The Zulus, nonetheless, remained a potent force, defeating the British in the historic battle of Isandhlwana before themselves being finally conquered in 1879.
- In addition to Swahili, Hausa, Gikuyu and Zulu are being taught as departmental offerings.
- Speaking in Zulu, Zuma explained the judicial process to the crowd, saying he was going to the high court and would appreciate their continued support.
- This is the opposite of the increasing standardization of the languages of Xhosa and Zulu, which occurred through missionary activity and later state controls.
- Users can currently create stories in English, Afrikaans and Zulu, but the package has been developed in a way that allows other languages to be added in the future.
- The leaflets have been published in seven of the eleven official language, namely: Afrikaans, Tsonga, Sesotho, Zulu, English, Venda and Xhosa.
- He spoke in a relaxed tone about his life in exile in South Africa, saying he fills his days with reading and writing… and learning Zulu in a show of gratitude to his hosts.
- To add to that she has very little or no knowledge of Zulu or Xhosa, languages which Mafikizolo uses.
- ‘Lyrically dangerous’ is how he refers to himself as he tells his story in a mix of Tsotsi-taal, Zulu, Afrikaans and English words.
- Performed in Zulu, Afrikaans, English and Xhosa, each performer speaks in his or her native language.
- The official language is English, but most people speak Sesotho or Zulu.
- Google's pages are available in dozens of languages (including Zulu, Xhosa, Esperanto, Klingon, and Pig Latin).
- It is a Bantu language closely related to Zulu, Swazi, and Ndebele.
- The addition of Mozambican vocalist Jaco Maria added a flamboyant dimension to the skilled band with lyrics in Shope, Portuguese, Bitonga, English and Zulu.
- One year I had a class of very diverse cultures with some children speaking Xhosa, Zulu, Tswane, Afrikaans and even French.
- South Africa is in fact a countries of minorities, and those who speak Afrikaans are almost as numerous as those that speak the two largest of the black languages, Xhosa and Zulu.
- Bailey answered in Zulu to make the point that English is as impenetrable for a Zulu speaker as Zulu is for an English speaker.
- But quite rightly, within their families the proud Afrikaners will maintain their traditions, and their language will take its place alongside Zulu, Xhosa, Venda, and all the other tribal languages.
- All the music is organically co-written and sung in Zulu, English and Fanigalo (urban slang).
- In the new South Africa, television broadcasts can be heard in the most prevalent languages: English, Sotho, Xhosa, Zulu, and Afrikaans.
- It would be almost simultaneous translation between French and English, and then into Zulu and Soga.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.