In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(letter)Aa femininethe A to Z of Gardening — el ABC de la jardinería
- he knows his subject from A to Z — conoce el tema perfectamente / de cabo a rabo
- to get from A to B — ir de un sitio a otro
1.2Musicla masculineto give sb an A — darle el la a algn
- A flat/sharp/natural — la bemol/sostenido/natural
- A major/minor — la mayor/menor
- the piece is in A — la pieza es en la mayor
calificación en la escala que va de A a F en orden decreciente
2Medicineblood group A — grupo sanguíneo A masculine
3.1(in house numbers)35A — 35 bis
3.2(in sizes of paper)A3 — A3 British — 420 x 297mm
- A4 — A4 — 297 x 210mm
- A5 — A5 — 210 x 148mm
3.3Britishbefore noun A road — carretera nacional feminine
indicador de carretera o ruta nacional
4(firstly)en primer lugarnúmero uno
1ununaI have a problem/a question/an idea — tengo un problema/una pregunta/una idea
- a Mrs Smith called — llamó una tal señora Smith
- she's a lawyer — es abogada
- she's a famous lawyer — es una famosa abogada
- have you got a car/light? — ¿tienes coche/fuego?
- he didn't say a word — no dijo ni una palabra
- they're six dollars a kilo — están a seis dólares el kilo
- half a dozen/an hour — media docena/hora
- what a pity/coincidence! — ¡qué lástima/casualidad!
- what a huge dog! — ¡qué perro más enorme!
- half a cup/spoonful — media taza/cucharada
2(per)portwice a week — dos veces por semana / a la semana
- 50 miles an hour — 50 millas por hora
- The truckers are angry at the rise in diesel prices, which currently average 81.3p a litre.
- The site takes in 2,000 tons of trash on a typical day, charging an average $30 a ton.
- You can't drive over five miles an hour down any street in New York.
- The price of gold rose last week to $309 an ounce - and at one point was $312, its highest for two years.
- I type 15 words a minute with a lot of mistakes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.