In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Aegean (Sea) — el (mar) Egeo
- before noun the Aegean Islands — las islas del Egeo
- The view of the Aegean from the Hora is breath taking.
- In ancient Greece much of the economy relied on slaves and the sacred island of Delos served as the main slave market of the Aegean.
- On September 23 1942 he took off from an airfield near Alexandria on a solo reconnaissance over the Aegean.
- This was an "all-inclusive" stay at one of 10 beach resorts which operate in the Mediterranean and Aegean under the Mark Warner banner.
- Fauna such as anemones, gorgonia and lace corals thrive in the caverns and tunnels of the Turkish Aegean and Mediterranean.
- In 490 a Persian expeditionary force sailed across the Aegean.
- Some had crossed the Aegean to the eastern lowlands of Greece; others went to Crete and southern Italy.
- Turkey and Greece are continuing contacts to find resolutions to their issues over the Aegean.
- Each open-plan studio has its own large terrace, where you can enjoy lengthy sunsets across the Aegean.
- The League was successful in its immediate aim of driving the Persians from the northern Aegean.
- Crete is an island at the south end of the Aegean.
- With more the 300 days of sunshine Rhodes is the pearl of the Aegean.
- Julie Summers sings the praises of the scenic diving to be enjoyed off the rocky shores of Fethiye, in the Turkish Aegean.
- In 490 he sent a fleet across the Aegean to Marathon.
- Recently, a displacement of > = 100 km was proposed for the Cretan detachment in the Aegean.
- Diplomatic and military experts from both sides of the Aegean hold regular talks.
- An extensive Bronze Age settlement on the northern coast of the Cycladic island of Melos in the southern Aegean, Greece.
- The whitewashed buildings of the main town are perched on the crater rim, thousands of feet above the Aegean.
- In any scenario, the resulting disappearance of one of the Aegean's great city-states is beyond dispute.
- The US 6th Fleet will be in the Aegean, patrolling the seas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.