In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
120 degrees Celsius — 20 grados centígrados / Celsio(s)
- the Celsius scale — la escala centígrada / de Celsius / Celsio
- So far, studies show that platform level air temperatures will very rarely be above 20 degrees Celsius or lower than freezing.
- The debut of summer saw temperatures entering the 30 degrees Celsius range.
- Without these greenhouse gases the earth's average surface temperature would be about 33 degrees Celsius cooler.
- Biological records show that insect species are appearing six days earlier on average for each degree Celsius rise in temperature.
- Instead of a global temperature rise of 2.1 degrees Celsius occurring by 2094, it will be postponed to 2100.
- Without greenhouse gases the earth's average surface temperature would be about 35° Celsius cooler.
- The ship's diving team took the opportunity to progress continuation training in the pristine 31 degrees Celsius waters around the port.
- The dampness and high temperature of about 25 degrees Celsius provides the best conditions for mould to grow and reproduce.
- For an hour and a half in the oppressive, dry 35 Celsius degree heat of the day we traveled across the valley and hiked up to the top of Graveyard pass.
- Transfer the meat to a 200 degree Celsius oven for 10 minutes and stand for a further 5 minutes before serving.
- They are most comfortable in water about 25 degrees Celsius, or slightly higher for breeding.
- I have personally been to both in the midst of winter and enjoyed temperatures around the 20 degrees Celsius mark.
- It is better to pre-treat and pre-soak heavily soiled clothing and use a warm wash, of around 50 Celsius degrees, to conserve energy.
- The Kelvin scale uses Celsius units, the main difference being that zero on the Kelvin scale is absolute.
- They even use Celsius temperatures, which nobody understands.
- Temperatures throughout the region hovered around the minus five degrees Celsius range for most of the two week storm.
- Citizens experienced the heat of summer as the temperature rocketed to 34 Celsius degrees last Sunday.
- It was two o'clock in the afternoon and thirty-two degrees Celsius outside with the humidity at 88%.
- Swindon Council's highways department was on red alert as temperatures plunged to 5 degrees Celsius overnight.
- Water exposed to atmospheric pressure boils at approximately 100 degrees Celsius.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.