In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1rojo masculine derogatory informalroja feminine derogatory informalcomunista masculine
- ‘Only Commies used words like peace and freedom,’ he later recalled.
- And I'd hate to think the Commies were ever ‘winning’.
- It's now 13 years since the Commies got booted out, and free enterprise is booming.
- I don't support censorship or rooting out the Commies, but I do think it means that mainstream organizers and people of conscience have to take a more active leadership role.
- If you were barmy enough to believe that the Commies really would infiltrate the corridors of power through brain-washing, then you were barmy enough to believe anything.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.