In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1viernes masculinegirl Friday — chica para todo feminine
- On Friday morning the cell door opened and they were led out into the approach corridor.
- The art is on display and available to buy at both the lunch on Friday and the ball on Saturday evening.
- The weekend seemed to start on Friday afternoon and continue until well into Monday.
- Mr Smythe, who runs the stall with his wife, Sue, operates at the market on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- On Friday, we had a meeting to determine how much longer the thing was going to take.
- There's a quiz night on Thursdays, karaoke on Fridays and a resident DJ on Saturday nights.
- On Friday night I was an emotional wreck and needed to sort out a lot of stuff in my head.
- Eighteen months ago the same thing happened to me at tea time on a Friday evening.
- They recommended that the longer opening hours should only be restricted to Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- On Friday in Los Angeles frantic efforts were underway to try to reverse the decision.
- On Friday police said they would not identify her until her next of kin had been informed.
- On Friday attention focused on the five people seen in the area police wanted to trace.
- I went along to Waverley station on Friday evening, and spoke to a very helpful chap.
- The three day festival kicked off on Friday evening, and drew to a close on Sunday evening.
- It will be open for coffee, snacks and light lunches during the day and for light evening meals on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- On Friday night there was a funny moment when a girl who was new to that circle was asked where she worked.
- On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, they always showed cowboy movies.
- On Friday night Marissa is having a formal party just after your father gets home.
- They have also agreed not to work on Saturdays or Fridays to avoid clashing with market day and the main shopping rush.
- Last Friday evening six youths from Melksham were removed from the park by police.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.