In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)the privy council — comité asesor del monarca integrado por personas de reconocido prestigio
- The Privy Council is an unelected body; constitutionally it is answerable only to the reigning monarch.
- It is not clear from the Privy Council report that even those remarks would not get a member into trouble in terms of a defamation case.
- Currently, there are 15 countries with access to the Privy Council.
- The fact that the issue has been to the Court of Appeal, and may in fact end up at the Privy Council, shows there are important property rights at stake here.
- The first is the withdrawal from the Privy Council of most of the Commonwealth countries.
- But this Government for ideological reasons decided not to appeal to the Privy Council.
- The Government did not even take it to the Privy Council.
- The Government scrapped our links with the Privy Council with a tiny majority.
- In 1993 the Privy Council told the Crown that it had a duty actively to protect Maoritanga, which includes language and culture.
- But I am sure he is aware that the cost of administering the Privy Council is met by British taxpayers - his countrymen.
- The survey of the Paul Cree reserve by Indian Affairs was presented to the Privy Council of Canada in 1921.
- The matter may well be taken to the Privy Council, and may be overturned by the Privy Council, as has been the recent experience.
- As I recall, the first bill to remove the appeal right to the Privy Council was introduced by the National Party when I was in this House.
- It is not only the fact that so few countries remain with the Privy Council that makes change urgent here.
- I have noted that there have been no appointments to the Privy Council in terms of members of this House.
- We saw that with the Supreme Court Bill, where the Government abolished appeal rights to the Privy Council.
- The reference by the Prime Minister to the Privy Council is merely a sop to overactive consciences.
- First, this Government dropped the Privy Council and established the Supreme Court.
- Is the Minister aware of any country in the world that has held a referendum prior to abolishing the right of appeal to the Privy Council?
- There is also a case before the Privy Council at this very time on the issue of meat quota, because there are those within the industry who say it was not fairly allocated.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.