In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)the privy purse — dinero para los gastos personales del monarca
- He fought innumerable cases of high order, such as the cases against nationalisation of banks and for abolition of privy purses.
- Prince Michael enjoys a subsidy from the Queen towards the cost of his accommodation at Kensington Palace, but he receives no payment from the civil list or privy purse.
- After the transfer of power, the rulers of the Residency Areas signed the ‘Deed of Accession’ on behalf of the ruled on exchange they were offered privy purse.
- Sarah was made mistress of the robes, groom of the stole and keeper of the privy purse, which put her in control of the royal household.
- A cataclysmic upheaval was experienced by the other princely families when the privy purses were abolished in 1971.
- If the Queen still holds that view - rather than the suspicion that she occupies the throne on sufferance - she should tell the keeper of the privy purse about it.
- Breaking pledges given at the time of independence, the government abolished all royal titles and privileges in 1971 and stopped payment of special pensions, called privy purses.
- But questions were raised in Parliament about the cost to taxpayers who were footing the bill through the privy purse.
- Even there, the royals must look to parliament and the privy purse for handouts at a time when Elizabeth's dysfunctional grandchildren have done all that is humanly possible to bring the idea of monarchy into disrepute.
- Although he feels the princes were betrayed by the government when the privy purses were abolished, he has a positive way of looking at it.
- Indira Gandhi finally disestablished them in the 1970's, when all the princely states were denied their privy purses.
- The Prince found other means of showing his appreciation of the Handelian's worth, by proposing him for a pension from the Emperor William's privy purse, in commemoration of Handel's bi-centenary, in 1885.
- Since Thanjavur became a British residency in 1885 and the rulers were not granted a privy purse, the palace has nothing of the sweep and dimensions of the other grander princely houses in the country.
- Having been bought by the personal privy purse of the King, the whole collection was returned to his family in England in 1850.
- So what if they have lost their privy purses and are left hallucinating about their past glory?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.