In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is why Rastafarians refer to the repressive outside world as Babylon.
- The two men were believed to be Rastafarians and members of an anti-Catholic cult.
- I was part of the Holy Ground; the place the Rastafarians worshipped the leader of their clan, and their God.
- Other Rastafarians denounced the violence, saying it violated the religion's belief in peaceful coexistence.
- The two suspects told police they are Rastafarians, but Rastafarian leaders on the island have denounced the attack.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.