In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Talmud — el Talmud
- But the Talmud in its own way is just as radical in its reinterpretation of Scripture as is the New Testament.
- The Talmud was clearly less concerned with theological correctness than we are today.
- Now, again, put yourself into the mindset of 1500 years ago, the time of the Talmud.
- Keep in mind, however, the Talmud says, that humiliating somebody publicly is tantamount to murder.
- In just seven and a half years, he said, you could learn the whole Talmud.
- The world of the Talmud is one of razor-sharp analysis.
- These are not the words of the Talmud quoted here.
- To read the Talmud is to read a lot of arguments.
- The obligation to give workers fair warning of their deficiencies is mentioned in the Talmud.
- Mendel explains how the music is not noise, how the lyrics have actual meaning and even apply to the Talmud.
- Nevertheless, a wide variety of views on asceticism are found in the Talmud.
- Later, the Babylonian Talmud was compiled, which was thought to be superior to its predecessor.
- The Talmud tells of a disagreement in the Sanhedrin (the Jewish Supreme Court) over a point of law.
- According to the Talmud, during the First Temple period of about 410 years, there were only 18 High Priests.
- His enlightened mind refused to condemn the Talmud without a most searching enquiry.
- This can be illustrated by a teaching in the Talmud about the secret to marital harmony.
- The Talmud teaches that the Torah speaks in the language of man.
- This mentality is already revealed in numerous passages of the Talmud.
- Old men should sit in the sun, says the Talmud, to remember the simple feeling of well-being that physical enjoyment brings.
- Samuel had an only daughter, who was learned in the Scriptures and the Talmud.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.