In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At the top of the tall, narrow Victorian townhouse, on a small landing beneath a skylight, perches Gunn's writing desk.
- The old Victorian building had a narrow fringe of concrete playground, but not a single blade of grass.
- This is as dutiful and strong-willed a creed as any Victorian moralist could hope for.
- So the new blocks are built around quadrangles in the style of a Victorian school.
- This was a vote for old-fashioned Victorian values, a belief in patriotism, the family, church and public service.
- These schools, which are often like Victorian borstals, still exist.
- It is a place of prostitution and opium, and a home to the many hapless children orphaned by the double standards of Victorian society.
- Lord Arthur Savile is a young, privileged pillar of Victorian society whose wedding day is soon approaching.
- It gets curiouser and curiouser as it creates a straitjacketed Victorian world and then shows that the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
- Rioting was a feature of life in early 19th century Britain, a fact to be born in mind when people talk about Victorian values.
- It was a moral code which long outlasted the Victorian era, and vestiges of it still remain.
- He spoke to me about the origins of the Society in the late Victorian period when there was a great deal of interest in the occult.
- During the Fling, Leat's pieces will be showcased here in the old converted Victorian schoolhouse he uses as a workshop.
- It seems as if we are living in a society that has burned its bras while still wearing the Victorian corset.
- But he is often a crushing bore, apart from being a Victorian puritan mistakenly born in India.
- One sometimes suspects that the thing lying at the heart of Victorian attitudes to life was the idea of illusion.
- The hotel is a Victorian mansion that is grand without being stuffy, and it has one of the best chefs in Scotland.
- Just because a few designers have endorsed the frilly blouse, it doesn't mean we are returning to actual Victorian values.
- A team from Pocklington School will take on ten men from the town in Victorian kit and rules in a re-enactment of the first game played in the town.
- The beetles' iridescent wings were used in the Victorian era like sequins to decorate the dresses of society women.
- Picture this opening scene: after a night at the opera the great and the good of Victorian high society flood out on to the streets of London.
- The Little Brown book provides a fascinating study of life in Victorian times, its attitudes, squalor and suffering.
- Many of the schools are built on split sites or have outdated Victorian buildings.
- Given the results, we could all end up embracing her brand of Victorian values.
- Peter Moody, partner of Hudson Moody, said Victorian properties in York had seen some of the biggest value increases.
- The Irish Georgian Society will advise on Georgian and Victorian properties.
- I think they want to replace sex education with dark, Victorian values.
- Yet the Readers are not quite the caricatures of Victorian morality one might expect.
- Too many of our schools are in Victorian buildings or in 1960s prefabs that have been waiting to fall down for 20 years.
- Having attacked Victorian morality, Wilde succumbs to its lust for melodrama.
- After all, since we have inherited a Victorian system of Government so should we abide by a Victorian morality.
- The elegant Victorian brick-fronted schoolhouse has bequeathed a number of original features to its new owners.
- This country seems to want Victorian values for some things in life, but 21st century values in most others.
- Understated literary allusions and layers of irony give Victorian attitudes a sly contemporary look.
- I have a wonderful image of Victorian times, with Victorian values.
- This may be a reflection of Victorian attitudes towards mental instability.
- It is described as a romance, set across the social divide in the world of Victorian industrial society.
- The true range and complexity of Victorian views and values are only now being recognized.
- The new school replaces a Victorian building and several mobile classrooms.
- Is it some twisted Victorian value that academically gifted people should not be seen to rise above their place?
- Gone are the pompous, moralistic tomes full of Victorian values and happy endings.
- The obscenity of surrendering state education to corporate benefactors reeks of Victorian attitudes to the poor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.