In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1excelentede primera calidad
- Last season's Grand National-winning jockey returned to the saddle at Catterick yesterday and reported himself to be in 'A1' condition.
- The car's build quality is A1, but the ride is jiggly on less than good road surfaces.
- The recording is of A1 quality and they have taken that step further to the recognition that they deserve.
- We did a good job and he had an A1 service from us but his injuries took his life.
- All values relate to showroom prices for cars in A1 condition.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.