In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
adverb & adjective
- And, as seen earlier in connection with his ‘logic’, his concepts of demonstration and proof straddle the a priori / a posteriori distinction.
- Historically the a priori / a posteriori distinction has been closely associated with that between the innate and the learned.
- The goal is to make a priori statements about the adversary's behavior which will include all kinds of adversaries, even those never seen.
- This conclusion is not, however, a complete vindication of his early scepticism: for the a priori / empirical distinction, which he sought to bring down as well, is both defensible and worth defending.
- In the absence of a clear characterization of the a priori / a posteriori distinction, it is by no means obvious what is being asserted or what is being denied.
- This much of the theory's content can be specified, so to speak, a priori, before taking physical contingencies into account.
- So, we will have to make a priori assumptions.
- ‘It is difficult to conclude a priori that teeth which spontaneously pit are stronger teeth.’
- I'm not suggesting we make a priori assumptions about them with everything, but what I am saying is that the ways they seek to accomplish their goals are often contrary to what the organization stands for.
- I argue that an ethical critique is implicit in his objections to any attempt to speak a priori about language and thought.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.