In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Expediency often involves the abandonment of war's more high-sounding objectives.
- He was rejected and outcast, and like Job, accepted his suffering and abandonment.
- With the economic collapse came the abandonment of hundreds of businesses by their owners.
- The meeting may be the only National Hunt racing in Britain this weekend, with abandonments likely elsewhere due to the weather.
- More conservative critics found the root of his decline in his abandonment of religious faith.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.