In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to be ablaze — arder
- to set sth ablaze — prenderle fuego a algo
- to be ablaze with sth
- her eyes were ablaze with indignation — los ojos le brillaban de indignación
- he was ablaze with passion — ardía de pasión
- the street was ablaze with light and color — la calle resplandecía de luz y color
- Two of the vehicles were set ablaze in the attack while the third vehicle managed to escape.
- Four shops and three small structures were set ablaze.
- Almost 3,000 acres of forest were ablaze just south of Emigrant Gap.
- Chessington Library was set ablaze with the result that the main part of the library is unusable due to the roof being unsafe.
- French police made more than 250 arrests after nearly 900 cars were set ablaze and nurseries and a school burned overnight.
- Nearly 10,000 cars were set ablaze with arson attacks against schools, police stations, gymnasiums, shops and businesses in poor suburbs across the country.
- The church is being renovated after having been set ablaze during the 1999-2002 riots.
- On Friday night 502 vehicles were set ablaze, the highest total for three days, and 206 people were arrested.
- All the people in the building were rescued and within a very short time the whole place was utterly ablaze.
- Fires sprang up everywhere, spreading from house to house, until the whole town was ablaze.
- Dozens of town and cities were affected with nearly 9,000 cars set ablaze and more than 3,000 people arrested.
- Mrs Gallagher's son had left the house shortly after 9.30 pm. and when he returned at 10.40 pm the entire building was ablaze.
- Well-intentioned U.N. officials had to run from their cars, which were then looted and set ablaze.
- Lee awoke in the early hours of the morning to find the front of his house ablaze with fierce flames lapping against the bedroom window.
- Three buses were also set ablaze, but no one was hurt.
- Four tonnes of hay and straw were also ablaze inside the barn, which was totally destroyed.
- Terrorists also set ablaze several residences.
- Several other businesses, including a chemist which was looted and set ablaze, were attacked along nearby streets.
- Firefighters were called after a plastic bridge was set ablaze - only weeks after an identical attack on a matching bridge.
- The fire crew had been called to the woodland at 9.25 pm following reports of rubbish and debris being piled up and set ablaze.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.