In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Medicine (condition/growth/development) anómaloMedicine (condition/growth/development) anormal(behavior) anómalo(behavior) anormal(level/rate) anormal(rate/level) singularabnormal psychology — psicología patológica / clínica feminine
- Fusion in this case is somewhat of a worry because these are highly abnormal cells.
- His abnormal memory power is not restricted just to the game, but aids him in his office work.
- Crime, rather than being abnormal and uncommon, may be considered a routine part of life.
- All women are supposedly naturally maternal and any woman who rejects this role is seen as deviant and abnormal.
- She speculated that abnormal electrical activity in the heart or brain may have been the reason.
- Interferon is produced naturally in the body and helps fight infection or abnormal cells.
- The boy told the court his behaviour had been abnormal and not the sort of thing he wanted to do in the future.
- Every episode marked him, though there is no evidence of any abnormal behaviour.
- A true food allergy is an abnormal response to a food triggered by the immune system.
- Some abnormal smears do in fact revert to normal without treatment, but some go on to become cancerous.
- The condition is rare and is caused by the inheritance of an abnormal gene from an affected parent.
- The abnormal hike in fuel prices leads to increase in prices of essential commodities.
- My greatest work was the reconstruction of a congenitally abnormal heart.
- Seabed sensors detect abnormal wave movements and relay the information to scientists.
- MPs live quite an abnormal life, and a lot of the time they are away from home.
- Cells normally divide in a controlled way, but abnormal cells keep on dividing, which can form a lump.
- As far as I can judge he sees nothing abnormal or peculiar about any part of this routine.
- The level was so high that a second reading was taken and although this was lower it was still so abnormal as to be fatal.
- The demand for tickets had been abnormal, and the committee had to refuse a great number who applied.
- His life has been so abnormal it is no surprise that he has such unusual views.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.