In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The idea of civil rights came into its own during the abolitionist campaign against slavery.
- Many of the abolitionists and privatisers seem unaware that the BBC broadcasts anything apart from news.
- The Archbishop of Paris, after a decade of silence towards the abolitionist movement, gave evidence that he too would support public clerical action.
- It was already established practice that black American abolitionists travel to England, Scotland and sometimes Ireland on speaking tours.
- To abolitionists, capital punishment is equally uncivilized and deserving of a definitive ruling of its unconstitutionality.
- Truth, also born into slavery, was an abolitionist and the first Black female orator to speak out against slavery.
- Most Spiritualists were outspoken abolitionists and often engaged in fiery polemics against slavery at lectures and seances.
- The movement away from the death penalty gained momentum during the second half of the present century with the growth of the abolitionist movement.
- They saw her as a modern incarnation of the abolitionists, who they believe struck down the evil of slavery and, in so doing, saved the Republic.
- The themes of slavery and the abolitionist movement are clearly presented in the film - not just underlying themes as in the book.
- It is indeed possible that his story, and others like it, were instrumental in the foundation of the abolitionist movement.
- This dearth of scientific evidence has done nothing to dampen the abolitionist ardour of the anti-DDT movement.
- This concern gets to the heart of the matter for prison abolitionists, and it distinguishes our analysis from prison reform advocates.
- Surely the abolitionists ' panacea ‘shared schools’ should have prevented such intolerance as they promise it will do in Scotland.
- There is a second economic point never addressed by abolitionists; were schools to integrate, these statistics simply wouldn't change.
- The Chartists opposed slavery and supported the abolitionist movement.
- It was first settled by Free Soilers, supported by New England abolitionists, to prevent slavery spreading west from Missouri.
- The opening chapter illuminates the processes by which the women became leaders and lecturers in the abolitionist movement.
- It's a good read, especially for gun abolitionists who don't understand why they can't outlaw guns outright.
- Yet for death-penalty abolitionists, this welcome development also poses some strategic perils.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.