1(approximately)más o menosaproximadamentehe's about my age — tiene más o menos mi edad
- she must be about 60 — debe (de) tener alrededor de / unos 60 años
- at about six o'clock — sobre las seis
- there were about 12 of us — éramos unos 12
- they should be arriving about now — deben (de) estar a punto de llegar
- in about three hours — en unas tres horas
- about a month ago — hace cosa de un mes
- the soup must be about ready by now — la sopa tiene que estar ya casi lista
- that's about it for today — eso es todo por hoy
- about time too! — ¡ya era hora!
- Arab traders took Islam to the area in about the twelfth century, possibly even earlier.
- They held up movements for about eight hours and the road was effectively closed.
- I get about five emails per day from them.
- I read the graphic and then saw the film all within about a week of each other.
- A lot of us got out and waited for the emergency services, who arrived within about ten minutes.
- I spent about twenty minutes reading the wrong manual until JoAnn tactfully pointed out the mistake.
- Plane Tree Grove is a residential area about a quarter of a mile from the airport.
2.1(from one place to another)the dog followed him about — el perro lo seguía a todas partes
- she travels about a lot — viaja mucho
- he knows his way about — conoce la ciudad (or la zona etc.)
- she's very old and can't get about very easily — es muy mayor y le cuesta desplazarse
- What does swimming about and spontaneously singing bits of the Batman theme song mean?
- You go in feet first - there's enough room to move about and then come out head first.
- A small space was fenced off so that the lion could move about, unhindered.
- They emptied the pool of its water by splashing about and then threw toys and sand into it.
- The day was too warm and too nice for rushing about.
2.2(in various directions)he was waving a knife about — blandía un cuchillo
- she rummaged about in her bag — revolvió en el bolso
- he glanced about nervously — miraba nervioso a su alrededor
3.1British (in the vicinity, in circulation)is Teresa about? — ¿Teresa anda por aquí?
- there's not much traffic about today — hoy no hay mucho tráfico
- she's about somewhere — anda por aquí
- she's somewhere about — anda por aquí
- I'm not usually about that early — no suelo estar allí/aquí tan temprano
- there's a lot of flu about — hay mucha gente con gripe
- he's very mean — there's a lot of it about — es muy tacaño — eso es algo que abunda
- The site was overgrown and there was refuse strewn about the area.
- I have friends scattered about Australia.
- She looked inside to find the contents scattered about and then heard noises upstairs.
- She had scars all about her body and face.
- Couches, armchairs and tables were scattered about the place.
- Houdini relied on great skill, low cunning, and keeping tiny metal picklocks concealed about his person.
3.2British literary (on all sides)por todas partes
1.1(concerning)sobreacerca dea book about Greece — un libro acerca de / sobre Grecia
- what's the play about? — ¿de qué se trata la obra?
- he wants to see you — what about? — quiere verte — ¿acerca de qué?
- she said nothing about that — no dijo nada acerca de / (con) respecto a / sobre eso
- about tonight: are you coming? — (con) respecto a lo de esta noche ¿vas a venir?
- what was all that shouting about? — ¿a qué venían todos esos gritos?
- what about Helen? isn't she coming? — ¿y Helen? ¿no viene?
- and Helen? — what about Helen? — ¿y Helen? — ¿qué pasa con Helen?
- that's what it's all about — de eso se trata
- politics is all about persuading people — en política de lo que se trata es de convencer a la gente
- I don't know what to buy her — what about a record? — no sé qué comprarle — ¿qué te parece / qué tal un disco?
- she won — how about that! — ganó — ¡pues qué te parece! / ¡pues mira tú!
1.2(pertaining to)there's something about him that I don't like — tiene algo que no me acaba de gustar
- what's so unusual about that? — ¿qué tiene eso de raro?
- the place has a certain charm about it — el lugar tiene cierto encanto
2(engaged in)while you're about it, could you fetch my book? — ya que estás ¿me traes el libro?
- why did you take so long about it? — ¿por qué demoraste tanto (en hacerlo)?
3.1British (in, on, through)they were playing about the house — estaban jugando en la casa
- he wandered about the empty streets — recorrió las calles vacías
3.2literary (encircling)alrededor de
3.3British (on one's person)do you have a pencil about you? — ¿tienes un lápiz?