In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Symptoms often depend on whereabouts in the body the abscess occurs.
- Around 40% of brain abscesses are caused by infections spread from areas nearby in the body, in the nose, throat and ear areas.
- Your GP will normally prescribe oral antibiotics to fight the infection before an abscess has a chance to develop.
- We also recorded the presence and severity of scabies, abscesses, and fungal lesions.
- It was felt the likely cause of the abscess was an open lesion from the patient's severe eczema.
- In order to treat a tooth with an abscess your dentist will drain the abscess to release the pressure and relieve pain.
- Three cases involved a septic knee joint, and two patients developed subcutaneous abscesses.
- Unlike staphylococci, which tend to cause localised infections such as abscesses, streptococci are essentially organisms that spread.
- Abscesses can be differentiated from brain tumours because abscesses tend to have smoother edges.
- Brain abscesses are a medical emergency because they can raise the pressure on the brain to a point that may be fatal.
- A more complicated operation is needed to drain an abscess from inside the body.
- Surgery may be necessary to drain abscesses, debride infected tissue, or stabilize the spine and relieve spinal cord compression.
- However, subcutaneous injections can cause abscesses and granulomas.
- The neurologist who examined her found and drained an epidural abscess from the lumbar region.
- Most epidural abscesses are located posteriorly in the thoracic or lumbar spine.
- If untreated, jaundice can lead to infection and abscesses in the liver, which can be fatal.
- Cerebral abscesses are typically circumscribed lesions with surrounding vasogenic edema.
- At least 75% of cerebral abscesses are associated with infections elsewhere in the body.
- A history of fever, chills or urinary tract infection suggests an infected cyst or an abscess.
- Most brain abscesses occur when infection spreads to the brain from elsewhere in the body, mostly from nearby areas such as the ears.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.