In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oscar masculinebefore noun Academy Award nominee — candidata al Oscar feminine
- Academy Award winner — ganadora del Oscar
- Academy Award ceremony — ceremonia de la entrega de los Oscar(s)
- Was Grace Kelly ever nominated for an Academy award?
- And in the beginning the academy would not let us interview anybody who was up for an Academy award.
- It would win the 1974 Academy award for Best Documentary.
- He moved to Sweden with his wife but returned to the US in 1972 to collect a special Academy award.
- Elizabeth Taylor did not receive an Academy award nomination for Three Faces of Eve.
- Either way, this year's Academy award belongs to The Lord of the Rings.
- But Julie Andrews became a bigtime movie star the same year by starring in Disney's original musical Mary Poppins - and won the Academy award for Best Actress.
- The rule states that either the most popular or the most significant film gets the Academy award for best screenplay.
- Well blow me down if I don't give you an Academy award on the spot for your breathtaking talent and originality.
- He won the Academy award for best actor for his work in Scent of a Woman.
- A child prodigy and prolific opera composer, Korngold composed music for sixteen films, mostly for Warner Bros, and received Academy awards for Anthony Adverse and The Adventures of Robin Hood.
- It is Heston's Oscar-winning delivery that gives them stature and status, even if it is 40 years since he collected his Academy award for his performance in Ben Hur.
- This is a documentary that, if there is any justice at all, should win him a special diamond-studded Academy award: a real-life human drama that David Lean would have loved.
- A three-time Academy award winner, he has specialised in scene-stealing eccentrics with more than a touch of lunacy, from the mental patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to the axe murderer in The Shining.
- Bolstered by a handful of Academy award nominations, I had high expectations for this film.
- Olivier received an Academy award nomination for Best Actor, but lost to Burt Lancaster for his work in Elmer Gantry.
- Nominated for 7 Academy awards in 1994, it failed to bag a single award.
- Kingsley outshines Winstone's implosively keen performance, and the casting director deserves an Academy award, easily.
- The fact that it made to the final round of the best foreign film category of the Academy awards itself proves beyond doubt that the film is a winner.
- And that passion helped a young actor give the best performance of his career, and get nominated for an Academy award.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.