In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Abutilon, acanthus, and nandina provide a back-drop, and double impatiens and coleus add seasonal color.
- Many featured floral and botanical patterns, often the lily or the acanthus leaf.
- We took an acanthus flower from a popular Georgian wallpaper design and blew it up so large that a single flower filled an entire wall.
- Many wildflowers in the habitat belong to the acanthus family, including branched foldwing, Carolina scalystem, Carolina wild petunia, loose-flower water willow, and swamp twinflower.
- The leaves of the acanthus are so famously handsome and glossy that their blue flower spike is almost an afterthought.
- Given the backdrop of ferns, hostas and the wooden acanthus leaves, this is an excellent way to bring back into the garden what would otherwise be a slightly shady thoroughfare.
- Planted beneath it, and in the matching raised bed across the runnel, is a collection of bold and textural plants such as abutilon, acanthus, agapanthus, and Tasmanian tree fern.
- Like those of the eighteenth century, these ‘flowers and leaves’ were variations on irises, carnations, roses, and acanthus.
- Some plant species can regenerate from seemingly unpromisingly small fragments (as I know from moving an acanthus in my garden).
- Beyond the pane, a duller gleaming, drooping green acanthus leaves, symbol once, in Christian art, of heaven, before that, classic curlicue of Greek and Roman art and architecture.
- Along with the box - real and otherwise - are large terracotta pots of Chusan palms and acanthus, which can be moved around according to whim.
- Then our patch: some of it is paved, there is a frog pond, a fig tree, acanthus, bamboo and cranesbill.
- Spray artichokes, cynara carduncularus, achillea, lavender, hydrangea, acanthus and eryngiums with snow, glitter or metallic paints available from DIY shops.
- One thinks of the acanthus, or bamboo, or (in Tibet), the tiger skin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.