In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We've learnt at The Sunday Times never to take manufacturers' claims for top speed and acceleration at face value.
- No compromises on acceleration, towing capacity, cargo space, fuel economy, or emissions.
- In the rarefied world of supercars the only way to go is up: more power, quicker acceleration, higher top speed.
- In city driving, nearly 50 percent of the energy needed to power your car goes to acceleration.
- When batteries become significantly low, the unit limits top speed and acceleration to alert the operator to drive the vehicle to a charging location.
- In older powerful cars the job of achieving maximum acceleration without losing traction was down to the driver, but today it is managed by the traction control system.
- The Ford exhaust system will improve your vehicle's acceleration and passing power, and at the same, help improve its fuel mileage.
- I looked expectantly at the speedo, thinking the sheer luxury of the vehicle was masking the sensation of speed and acceleration that must surely be happening all around it.
- We spent some time testing out the motor, checking idle speed, acceleration, different speeds and trim and then stopped for lunch.
- There was just more power, more acceleration, more speed and more of that amazing noise.
- We run very closely-spaced gear ratios to maximise the car's acceleration, and this means the ratio between engine speed and car speed is higher than at a more normal circuit.
- The difference in acceleration and top speeds make it like comparing Del boy's Reliant van with a Ferrari.
- But after just a minute of acceleration, it would be able to top out any vehicle ever built.
- To this day, the combination of acceleration, dynamic performance and braking power offered by the current 911 Turbo continues to set the model apart from its peers.
- And yet the Charade's plucky 1.0 litre engine will deliver you the fastest acceleration and the best maximum speed available in this class of car.
- A spokesman for Shell said tests on 37 cars on the British market found most showed benefits in acceleration and power, and one in eight customers was now buying Optimax.
- One of the terms used in estimating the clearance time of the heavy vehicle is its average acceleration in starting gear.
- They have pace, speed, acceleration, penetration, and that priceless asset, mobility.
- Mr. Lalan says that sudden stoppage of the vehicle and sudden acceleration are not advisable.
- This £50,440 model has amazing acceleration for a car of its size and engine type, as well as an impressive ride quality and surprisingly nimble handling.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.