In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They were instructed to wear the accelerometer during all waking hours, to carry out their usual activities, and not to remove the device except for bathing and sleep.
- A small sensor, the accelerometer, placed nearby then detects the sound waves and analyses their acoustic signature.
- The IMU consists of two main sensor types: gyroscopes or ‘gyros’ to measure angular rates and accelerometers to measure velocity rates.
- Additional accelerometers can measure the vehicle's linear accelerations and angular acceleration about the spin axis.
- The accelerometer is used to measure shocks and vibration caused by road roughness while the GPS unit records the truck position.
- More recently, physical activity has been objectively measured through the deployment of accelerometers that are calibrated to monitor activity levels by the minute.
- One unit malfunctioned due to failure of one of the three internal accelerometers during a measurement period at home, and the subject was retested with another device.
- To detect hard braking or cornering, the system uses an accelerometer that detects high g-forces on the vehicle.
- Other devices include oxygen sensors to check exhaust gases, accelerometers to detect any sudden sharp braking, and a range of pressure and temperature monitors.
- In addition, NASA's second redesigned tank has been outfitted with temperature sensors and accelerometers, used to measure vibration.
- The researchers then attached motion recorders - small accelerometers measuring how often and vigorously a limb moves - to the dominant leg and arm of each child.
- The physical activity tests were validated using electronic accelerometers to measure levels of activity minute by minute.
- For more rigorous demonstration of the forces involved, Dial also used two accelerometers to measure the acceleration in the forward and vertical directions.
- The speed and force pattern of the club head was measured by a miniature accelerometer attached to the club head.
- In a passenger car, a linear accelerometer located near the front axle measures higher lateral acceleration than in the center or rear side.
- For example, sensors called accelerometers - which are used to cue airbags to deploy - can detect changes in speed and direction.
- An accelerometer was placed on one arm to measure gross body movements.
- A monitoring system, including tension sensors, accelerometers, and deformation gauges, will be put in place for purposes of bridge maintenance.
- Accelerations were measured using accelerometers mounted rigidly to the vehicle and connected to a data logger.
- After vibration data is measured using the accelerometer and converted into digital format, they are then stored in a computer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.