In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1according as (formal or literary)(+ subj) (depending to what extent) en la medida en que(depending on whether) (+ subj) según
- Its quality differs with its color, according as it is white, red, yellow, or bluish.
- There have indeed been a variety of bundle theories, differing according as the bundles' constituents and/or structures were different.
- From the whole rose that blended odour of viands, of flowers, of stuff's, of toilet perfumes, which is the characteristic expression of, all social festivities, and which exhilarates or depresses - according as one is new or old to it.
- As children, we judged subjectively, determining ‘that there was more or less reality in each body, according as the impressions made [on our own bodies] were more or less strong.’
- The manners in which free-born people become slaves may be distinguished according as slaves are acquired from without or within the limits of the tribe.
- The most common varieties are even vibration and damped vibration, according as the amplitude remains constant or it is decreasing exponentially.
- The capitalized value of the same stream of payments will be higher or lower, according as the rate of interest is lower or higher.
- These points are concrete objects, being either coloured or tangible, according as they are susceptible to sight or touch.
2.1(as said, given by)segúnthe Gospel according to St Mark — el Evangelio según San Marcos
- according to you/him — según tú/él
- it's nearly half past, according to my watch — según / por mi reloj son casi y media
- Workers in Greater Manchester are the most honest in the country, according to a new report out today.
- Buying the club extra time for repayments is the last piece in the financial jigsaw according to the chairman.
- More than one million Scots will be sports club members by 2007, according to the report.
- Sickness levels at Burnley Council need to be tackled more rigorously, according to a new report.
- A back street garage in Bolton was the only place to correctly pass the car, according to the expert.
- Demand for such schemes is great, and waiting lists can be up to six months, according to some local experts.
- Police across the country are solving less than one in five crimes, according to a report out today.
- This reticence, according to another fashion expert, is partly reverse snobbery.
- The comments are published on the Danish army website, according to Reuters news agency.
- And, according to experts in the field, it is as near to potato perfection as possible.
- Cash-strapped schools are going to have to scrimp and save for the next two years, according to a report.
- We are already well on the way to being addicted to internet gambling, according to some press reports.
- Women who go for bra fittings at high street retailers are getting poor advice, according to a report today.
- But they are not nearly as green as they claim to be, according to motoring experts.
- Councils should leave tourism to the experts, according to an economic development boss.
- British men have overtaken women in the fashion stakes, according to a report published today.
- Cars could be banned from the centre of Malmesbury in ten years time, according to a futuristic new report.
- And according to dental experts the situation is not likely to get any better in the near future.
- Patients at Airedale Hospital are the most satisfied in the country according to a national report.
- Savings running to millions of pounds need to be made, according to an alarming accountancy report.
2.2(as determined by)segúnto each according to his needs — a cada cual según su necesidad
- you get a different answer according to who you ask — la respuesta es diferente según a quién le preguntes
- the books are arranged according to author/title — los libros están ordenados por autores/títulos
- Some of you may know what this means and will now be experiencing surges of joy or hate, according to preference.
- The good thing about this grant is that it is not dispensed according to financial means.
- In skiing points are awarded according to a complicated system based on time rather than placing.
- Keep within maximum depth limits according to your level of training/experience.
- The human worshippers too are carefully graded in size according to their relative age and status.
- Those kids who were more hedonistic had different experiences according to their gender.
- It is allowed to select a proportion of its pupils according to aptitude.
- The base rates varied greatly according to which definition of sexual recidivism was being used.
- We are told that it is for a health service available to all according to their needs - not true.
- The proportion of connective tissue varies according to the position of the meat in the animal's body.
- In fact, you can vary your proportions according to how much risk you're happy with.
- The authors have divided the woods into five groups according to their relationship to extant plants.
- In the national court, proportionality has to be judged according to national conditions.
- To my mind, the point is that in an equal relationship each contributes according to their capacity.
- In reality the involvement of such bodies varied according to their experience and expertise.
- Children born can have a blanket at the time of birth or the fall following according to the necessities of the mother.
- The degree of distress experienced varies according to what people expect.
- The rate of complications is not analysed according to the gynaecologists' experience.
- We examined clinicians' communication according to how patients experienced it.
- Participants modified their prescribed plan according to their experience of asthma.
2.3(in agreement, accordance with)conforme ade acuerdo consegún
- So if things are not quite according to plan you pick them up extremely quickly.
- What is clearer however, is that Nationwide's business is not going quite according to plan.
- Set aside while you cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the pack.
- Cook the bucatini for nine minutes, or according to the instructions on the packet.
- It was according to his precise instructions that we laid our three pots.
- These will be bought by patrons and the chefs will cook it according to specifications.
- For most of the opening half things looked as though they would go exactly according to plan.
- They reform their old band and hit the road but nothing goes smoothly or according to plan.
- There was one moderate injury but no falls while the person was exercising according to instructions.
- Things did not go quite according to plan for England at Trent Bridge yesterday.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling, salted water according to packet instructions.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet, then drain well.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions and then dress with the fresh sauce.
- Wash the rice. Bring the fish water to the boil and add the rice. Cook according to instructions.
- Attempting to put the disaster of the day behind me and enjoy the evening didn't go quite according to plan.
- Even with the best will in the world, however, not all mentoring programmes work according to plan.
- Heat a small haggis according to the butcher's instructions, then scoop some onto a crouton.
- We can thus make no excuses for the text; it has come out according to plan.
- The home visits were implemented according to plan, and no adjustments were made to the protocol.
- She's just shuffling formal symbols around according to the instructions she was given.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.