In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in cards, dominoes, dice)as masculinethe ace of clubs — el as de tréboles
- the ace in the hole / pack — la mejor baza
- the ace in the hole was their new forward — la mejor baza del equipo era su nuevo delantero
- to be/come within an ace of sth
- she came within an ace of victory — le faltó poquísimo para ganar
- he came within an ace of beating the champion — estuvo a punto de ganarle al campeón
- to have another ace to play — tener otra baza importante
- to have / hold all the aces — tener todas las de ganar
2(in tennis)ace masculine
3(expert, champion)as masculine
1(reporter/negotiator) de primera(negotiator/reporter) destacadoan ace driver/pilot — un as del volante/de la aviación
- Your opponent has only one card left and you know it is the ace of trumps.
- Christopher set down his cards, exposing a three, five, and ten of spades and the ace of diamonds.
- I started with the queen of diamonds and spades, an ace of clubs, five of hearts and three of diamonds.
- If you set down a face card, an ace, or a joker, then next person has a certain number of chances to set down one of those cards.
- The guy shows his cards and he had the ace of hearts, but like I said, my hand was unbeatable at that point.
- When the deck is unusually rich in face cards and aces, they bet more, and when the deck is relatively poor in these cards, they bet less.
- The black aces are permanent trumps, independent of which suit otherwise is trumps.
- The cards keep their usual ranks except for the ace which can be either the highest or lowest ranked card in a suit at the whim of the person playing it.
- The ace of spades is the most powerful card, irrespective of what suit is trumps.
- If an ace of spades is turned up, the next player must turn up 4 more cards.
- During the Vietnam War, the ace of spades was considered the card of death by the Viet Cong.
- He picked up his cards, finding the ace of diamonds he tossed it on the pile.
- Lynn's cards are strong - she has the ace of diamonds, the ace and queen of clubs, the ace and king of hearts.
- Trump cards beat all other cards and aces are low.
- One recent day, search crews found an ace of diamonds playing card, a doorknob, a pair of security guard pants, a woman's black wig and a pink toothbrush.
- At the end of the following hand it is noted who held the ace of hearts at the end of the auction.
- A normal 52-card deck with the aces removed.
- He flicked his wrist and an ace of spades appeared.
- When played as the High Card, jokers rank as aces.
- You look at the cards one at a time, and pile them face up on the ace of the same suit.
- I then win a duel at the net before I take the game with an ace.
- Their response to the whisper of defeat was the second-serve ace, the cross-court winner - the diamond hardness of their minds.
- The hardest server in the world, he compiled 13 aces in today's game but was broken once in each set, including at love to fall behind 5-4 in the second.
- ‘The good thing was that I was serving very well,’ said Aisam, after delivering a dozen aces in the final.
- A forehand crosscourt, backhand down the line, a couple of aces.
- With the verbal equivalent of one of those ferocious aces he whacks past opponents, Andy Roddick has summed up life in just 18 words.
- It was down to a tie-breaker game of 11 aces which saw the Cavan pair run up an early lead of 6-2 and seemed to be heading for the win.
- He broke his opponent's opening service game easily, and then held serve with three aces to win seven out of eight of the first points played.
- She got the match off to a lightning start, opening with a love service game including two aces.
- His final three aces came in his last service game.
- She closed out with consecutive aces and a service winner.
- He fought off six break points and ended the game with two aces.
- But he managed only one service winner and no aces in the final tiebreaker.
- He finished with 18 aces and 41 service winners, and won despite breaking serve just twice.
- She hit a second-serve ace to save the first and a backhand winner to salvage the second.
- His serve improved as he fired down five aces in his first two service games.
- The Chinese served better than they had in previous matches against the Americans, with five aces, and they set up their offense better, with 61 kills.
- However, striking for 13 service aces certainly helped out, he said.
- He finished three of his first four service games with an ace.
- The final game saw Carlow run into an early lead of eight aces, and were looking good.
- But the government body funding the project, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, hopes it might be the making of a new generation of homegrown tennis aces.
- Lane however had their own batting aces and the Park bowlers struggled as S Hargreaves made 69 and Oliver Halliday 53.
- The Canadian ace took charge of the ball before converting his fourth goal in five games.
- The motorcycle ace won a world title on the all-powerful Honda last year and then celebrated victory by signing for the all-powerless Yamaha.
- The Leeds-based tennis ace, who reached the third round of the junior version of Wimbledon last year, faces a punishing daily regime.
- The first ace is the maverick genius of young James McFadden, now of Everton.
- The Pontefract-based ace will captain a four-man team.
- A football signed by Brazilian ace and World Cup winner Rivaldo is set to be auctioned off to raise funds for the York City Supporters' Trust.
- The former Olympic ace, who quit competitive swimming earlier this month, is determined to win a behind-the-scenes role in the sport.
- The in-form Canadian ace has made only one start this season, but he is top scorer with three goals - two of them coming in the last three games.
- She appeared alongside young aces in fields including sports and music and pop singing.
- Olympic champion Maurice Greene's status as the world's No 1 sprinter looks shakier than ever and a host of other top name American stars have struggled as Britain's track aces, led by Campbell, bloom.
- Meanwhile, next up for the talented tennis ace is a trip to Florida where he has been invited to the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy.
- The Sheffield-born ace will become the Blues' boss eighth signing since he took over from Joe Royle and takes his spending to around £4m.
- The Chorley ace starred alongside Olympic record holder Chris Hoy and Craig MacLean as the British team left Poland trailing by more than a second in the sprint final.
- Four tennis aces from Lancaster Royal Grammar School have been competing in the National Schools Tennis Championship finals in Hertfordshire.
- Sunny and sweet, this film is what's to be expected - a big studio romantic comedy about two tennis aces who fall in love at Wimbledon.
- The Kiwi ace piled up 24 points with a try and 10 goals before being given a rest after an hour when it was 60-6.
- His elder sister, a computer ace, spent second grade doing research on the Internet, delving into Greek myths and studying artists.
- Goal ace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer kept Manchester United in the Premiership title race with a typical smash-and-grab at Filbert Street.
2Britishbárbaro informalguay Spain slang
1USlucirse ensobresalir en
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.