In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The reaction mixture was poured onto water, acidified and extracted with ethyl acetate.
- If you must plant a pin oak in an alkaline environment, acidify the soil before planting.
- Lactic acid acidifies crop contents, making them less conducive to bacterial growth.
- Scientists know that carbon dioxide is warming the atmosphere, which in turn is causing sea level to rise, and that the CO 2 absorbed by the oceans is acidifying the water.
- Bleach doesn't acidify water, but it does kill bacteria.
- Malic acid is available commercially for use in acidifying foods and beverages and in numerous industrial processes.
- Sulfur dioxide creates a haze of pollution that cripples people and acidifies lakes.
- One of the new studies finds that the increase in carbon dioxide (to which temperature rises have been mainly attributed) is also having a previously unpredicted impact in acidifying the world's oceans.
- Israeli researchers at the Weizman Institute of Science and Tel Aviv University have discovered that cranberries do much more than slightly acidifying urine.
- To acidify soil, sprinkle two tablespoons of aluminum phosphate or sulfur around the shrubs in early fall.
- The supernatant was collected and the sediment suspended in a double volume of water, acidified and centrifuged.
- They keep the excess nitrogen from acidifying the upper soil horizons.
- To acidify alkaline soils, mix in peat or acid fertilizer periodically.
- Therefore, regions where this form of rock is present are especially sensitive to the effects of acid rain, and lakes in these areas become acidified very quickly.
- If they are to be canned as acid foods, these products must be acidified to a pH of 4.6 or lower with lemon juice or citric acid.
- In contrast to cereals or other crops, legumes are known to acidify the rhizosphere even when supplied with nitrates.
- This might have generated enough debris to block out sunlight and trigger an ice age, enough sulfuric acid to acidify the oceans, and/or enough carbon dioxide to cause global warming by a greenhouse effect.
- It is the hydrogen ion component that is toxic, affecting cell membranes, acidifying substrata, and leaching metals like calcium.
- International shipping may be one of the largest sources of air pollutants along the Norwegian coast and in the Northern Atlantic, forming ground-level ozone and acidifying shorelines, according to Norwegian researchers.
- If you irrigate, and your water is also alkaline, acidify it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.