In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It may grow on sites with varying soil water availability and acidity, as well as at different above-ground light availabilities.
- Wines from countries such as Italy or France tend to have higher acidity than new world wines because they are intended to be served with traditional foods.
- In trying to link the acidity of rainfall to the acidity of soils and water it is essential to understand the role that soils play in releasing chemicals into solution as a result of natural weathering.
- Wines with high acidity go best with heavy, fatty dishes.
- It's customary to add vinegar or lemon juice to fish, so it seems natural that this should be partnered by a wine high in acidity.
- The skeletal remains were in poor condition, probably as the result of soil acidity and the shallow depth of many of the burials.
- Pine needles tend to increase the acidity of the soil so they work best around acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons and blueberries.
- A blend of 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, this rich wine has good acidity and luscious raisin notes.
- The pellets dissolve in water and the particles quickly disperse and neutralize soil acidity.
- Organic farming has many benefits to the environment since it prevents soil and water contamination by chemicals which reduce soil fertility and increase acidity.
- Now there is a spate of plantings on higher ground, to achieve longer ripening - which produces wine with better acidity, more complexity and more minerality.
- The water acidity there is so bad that it killed all life.
- It does not follow that soil acidity bears any relation to wine acidity.
- In the 1960s and 1970s, fish stocks were depleted in a large number of Scandinavian lakes and this occurred at exactly the same time as an increase in the acidity of the lake water.
- In the case of acid soils, burning decreases acidity, which starts to increase again during the planting period.
- On a very basic level, vinegar or lemon juice add flavour to fish, so it seems natural to drink a wine with high acidity with seafood.
- When acid rain falls in lakes and rivers, it increases the acidity of the water and can kill or seriously damage aquatic organisms.
- In general, warmer New World countries, such as Australia, produce white wines of lower acidity.
- The acidity in this wine is mean, and there are unripe gooseberry flavours ready to give your taste buds a good kicking.
- Tropical marine fish require specialist care, including precise levels of salt in the water, acidity and temperature to survive in a tank.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.