- Maybe his most impressive insight was a negative one: of all radical thinkers, he alone recognised that the acquisitive instinct wasn't going away.
- In this grotesquely acquisitive society, all cultural markers are subject to violent revision as the inhabitants seek to fulfil their various appetites.
- The red flags of criminal money-making differ from those thrown up by terrorist money-making, because the first shows exploitation of the financial system for acquisitive ends.
- The growth of acquisitive crime predated the spread of heroin use, but eventually these trends became interconnected and fueled each other.
- Britain was on the eve of the acquisitive era of material greed: fibre-optic lamps and brown leather sofas were already ubiquitous status symbols.
- How ironic that we train our children first to be good, social human beings, only to later demand that they act like acquisitive, productivist, hardhearted machines.
- People in most of the industrialized nations, especially the USA, are regarded as members of the so-called affluent society or the acquisitive society.
- People charged with so-called acquisitive crime - such as burglary and theft from vehicles so they can buy drugs - are tested in two custody suites for heroin and cocaine use.
- United's determination to avoid debt made it devastatingly attractive to acquisitive entrepreneurs, but wondering how to expand its revenue was the problem.
- Greedy and acquisitive, he set his sights on this land in order to carve out a feudal domain for himself.
- An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career.
- They probably all drive People Carriers and conversation is solely about one-upmanship, acquisitive materialism and diets.
- Professionals seemed as greedy and acquisitive as any other group of workers.
- Again, if a society is competitive and acquisitive in orientation, the kings and chiefs will necessarily reflect that in their behaviour and lifestyles.
- Life is just one big vain, greedy, acquisitive, covetous, furious orgy - and then you die.
- To maximise performance in the 21st century states require flexible economies, competitive tax rates and an acquisitive, dynamic private sector.
- But the acquisitive instinct fostered by capitalism would come to subvert the moral basis that initially allowed the system to flourish.
- But mostly I think I'm too acquisitive to let books go.
- Unfortunately, by the time they arrived, my tastebuds had changed their mind and started eyeing my Timothy's scrambled eggs in an acquisitive manner.
- The old-fashioned notion of only buying what you could afford has long since lost its attraction in today's more acquisitive society, in which instant gratification is the thing.
2I'm not at all acquisitive — no tengo interés en poseer cosas materiales