In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many acquittals are obtained in cases where the defense cannot offer jurors an alternative suspect for the crime.
- Many will balk at the suggestion that Megan's Law should be expanded to include warrants, dropped charges, and even acquittals.
- I am therefore of the view that it is not appropriate to substitute a verdict of acquittal for the conviction.
- Routine acquittals of obviously guilty people would quickly breed contempt for the law.
- Only 14 cases actually went to trial, ultimately yielding ten plea bargains, two acquittals, and only two guilty verdicts.
- The significance of these statements is tempered by the fact that 14 of the acquittals and 1 conviction were reversed and remanded for retrial, the results of which are unknown to us.
- In the result therefore a verdict of acquittal was directed in respect of all charges against both accused.
- Now the choice is go to trial on a felony assault charge and hope for an acquittal or plead guilty to a misdemeanor.
- On the first, if the appellant is right, he is entitled to an acquittal.
- The appellate court affirmed 51 acquittals and 19 findings of medical negligence by defendant physicians.
- The motion for a directed verdict of acquittal on count two is dismissed.
- A close precedent for an acquittal based on the denial of evidence already exists.
- Any charge ever brought against him resulted in an acquittal.
- From his arrest until his acquittal at the Crown Court, the Applicant was on bail.
- If the court is not satisfied that D did what was alleged, an acquittal must follow.
- The doctors were duly charged, but their acquittals established the legality of abortions in order to preserve mental health.
- If that is the case, my client was deprived of the chance of an acquittal on the murder count.
- Moreover the public interest may be as much involved in the circumstances of a remarkable acquittal as in a surprising conviction.
- By last year, the rate of jury acquittals had fallen to 15 percent.
- For the above reasons, the appeal is dismissed and the acquittal of the Respondent is upheld.
2formal(of duty)cumplimiento masculinedesempeño masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.