In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Saddle is fitted with yoke-mounted roll-screw and nut elevating gear actuated by handwheels on either side of the saddle.
- Because the pushrod doesn't actuate the valve, no combustion takes place.
- These are further split into two circuits, each of which owns or shares responsibilities for actuating flight controls and operating other hydraulic components.
- The hydraulic lifter actuates one end of the roller finger, while the other end actuates the valve.
- The guns are actuated by a three-way switch on the spade grip of the stick.
- This circuit prevents the operator from actuating the tool except when both hands are on the throttle levers.
- Applying a voltage between the electrodes and the mobile plate actuates the mirror.
- Pilot controls consisted of dual wheel yokes and the landing gear was extended and retracted by a hydraulic pump actuated by a hand lever.
- Within the device, a diaphragm is actuated pneumatically, electrically, or magnetically, and it pumps blood into the aorta or pulmonary artery.
- The control unit also has a receiver electrically connected to the relay switch and is adapted to receive a control signal for actuating the relay switch.
- Finally, the device driver for the appropriate device translates the commands to analog signals that actuate the device.
- The moving cantilever can actuate another device or move a cam or wheel to generate rotary motion.
- In automatic mode it actuates the hydraulic valves that control the blade.
- The landing gear was hydraulically actuated and was fully retractable.
- He chopped the left throttle to the off position, actuated the left engine fire button, and turned the left engine master switch off.
- Would you believe the switch was actuated by lifting up the horn button!
- When we actuated the gear lever, only the right main gear went down and locked into position.
- As the engine was lowered, the lanyard had actuated a valve that drove the hoist to its stowed position.
- Levers can incorporate interlocks, requiring the user to actuate a release mechanism before he or she can move the lever.
- The valves are actuated via drag arms from twin, contra-rotating camshafts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.