In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1adicto masculineadicta femininedrug addict — toxicómana feminine formal
- I'm a real TV addict — soy adicto / fanático de la televisión
- She has called for more support to be made available for former drug addicts coming out of prison.
- A heroin addict who ran a drugs den frequented by dealers at all hours of the day has been jailed for 18 months.
- Drug addicts are being sold impure substances which are far more harmful than the real thing.
- So they wouldn't let my grandma home from hospital because they knew I was living with her and I was a drug addict.
- Heroin addicts should be able to register and get supplies on prescription.
- Officers say most burglars are heroin or crack addicts who need cash to feed their drug habits.
- Some addicts become as reliant on methadone as they were on heroin.
- The raid resulted in four arrests, as the police walked in whilst four addicts were using drugs.
- This means that they can't resell the drug to other addicts, and use the cash to buy heroin.
- Children of drug addicts, and addicts ' siblings, will be the main focus for help.
- But do they suffer the same level of discrimination as drug users or addicts?
- One of the boys had been an heroin addict but he had got off it.
- When you are an heroin addict the only thing that matters to you is where you are going to get your next hit from and you will do anything to get it.
- The family wanted Daniel out of the house and even told the hospital he was a drug addict.
- She lived the typical chaotic lifestyle of a heroin addict and a convicted drug dealer had access to her flat.
- Switzerland and a few other countries now prescribe heroin to some addicts.
- We are happy to provide needle exchange schemes for drug addicts, and their addictions are treatable.
- Police say there are currently around 3,000 heroin and crack cocaine addicts in the town.
- The project, the first of its kind in the York area, aims to help addicts of heroin and other opiate drugs such as methadone.
- A former heroin and crack addict, he has been off drugs and in the community for five years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.