In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Mathematicssuma feminineadición feminine formalto learn addition and subtraction — aprender a sumar y restar
- In this addition sum each letter represents a digit, different letters being different digits.
- We were reviewing vector addition this evening at a study session.
- The Count Hoot section of the site helps with addition and subtraction as well.
- She showed that babies can even do addition and subtraction, of a rudimentary sort.
- Such a machine would be able to carry out complex operations using only the mechanism for addition.
- As one might expect, multiplication of infinite decimals is more complicated than addition.
- The only way is up - addition works in three dimensions but what about multiplication?
- We have now defined two operations for matrices, addition and multiplication.
- This suggests that Component 3 is not a vector addition but could be a single component.
- They are great at the game of subtraction, when the game of parliamentary politics is addition.
- That is addition, multiplication and the two inverse operations of subtraction and division.
- Yet addition and also subtraction are only an extension of counting.
- Our old maths teacher was teaching addition to the kids and she asked us to look on as she went along with her class.
- Basically they had to devise methods of multiplication and division which only involved addition.
- If you want to know the total force which is exerted on the body, you have to carry out a vector addition.
- Superimposing the two logical operations we can define binary addition.
- If the slip is accompanied by a number of items, the payee's addition of the sums is verified.
- To see the sort of difficulty that can arise, let us consider addition first.
- That's likely a trace to the way many of us learned to count and do basic addition.
- The addition of three points to his team's total is a minor calculation.
1.2(adding)adición feminineshe recommends the addition of brandy — recomienda que se le añada / que se le agregue brandy
- With the addition of a few commas and the striking out of the one paragraph, the deal already on the table will finally go through.
- Division two saw the usual suspects duelling it out with the addition of some new faces.
- The sweltering conditions will run into the middle of next week with the addition of the odd thunderstorm.
- In the kitchen, a truly rural feel is added to the kitchen with the addition of a solid-fuel Aga.
- It was tender, juicy and tasty, especially with the addition of the salty pork wrapping.
- It can work on hair that is fine or thin with the addition of hair pieces or extensions.
- A wakeboard is similar in shape to a snowboard, with the addition of two small fins on the underside.
- A community transport scheme has been given a major boost with the addition of an extra vehicle.
- Turkey and the trimmings can be improved dramatically with the addition of a well chosen wine accompaniment.
- Bolton's nightlife is due to expand again with the addition of another trendy wine bar.
- At a later stage they were subsequently sold as Van Goghs, occasionally with the addition of a false signature.
- The garden will continue to be developed in the future with the addition of an aromatic walkway planned for next year.
- The camera obscura box reproduced these conditions and clarified the images with the addition of a lens.
- The colour range favours warm and tropical colours, with the addition of blue and sea green.
- Make old timber look new with the addition of vinegar and blasting it with a blowtorch.
- This classic snack can be varied with the addition of thinly sliced smoked chicken or turkey and avocado.
- You can make them more formal with the addition of a diamanté brooch to use as a clasp on the front or the back.
- This is not the case these days; with the addition of violence, things have turned a bit uglier.
- The town of Belmullet looks splendid and bright with the addition of new lights.
- The new year has brought some dramatic changes at the loch with the addition of three new fisheries.
2.1(extra thing)these rooms are later additions — estas habitaciones se construyeron después
- a useful addition to your toolkit — un práctico complemento para su caja de herramientas
- the latest additions to our library — las últimas adquisiciones de nuestra biblioteca
2.2(extra person)she is a valuable addition to our team — su incorporación a nuestro equipo es muy valiosa
- we're expecting an addition to the family — dentro de poco aumentará la familia
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.