In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In deference to the demand of the Opposition Leader, the Speaker adjourned the House for the day after two earlier adjournments in the pre-lunch session.
- The location and length of the trial, the unpredictability of witness appearances and the adjournments all militate against full and even reportage.
- He said: ‘Well-prepared cases are less likely to be derailed or the subject of constant adjournments.’
- The case came up for hearing last Tuesday after three adjournments.
- Ordinarily, no adjournments are granted and there is provision for serving of notices by courier, fax, speed-post, etc.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.