In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Traditional architectural styles are found in the rural communities, with variously shaped adobe houses with thatched roofs.
- In rural areas of Latin America, adobe houses with thatched roofs are fixtures of the landscape.
- Most people live in adobe houses with thatched roofs.
- Derek and I joined this workshop and quickly learned much about the methods and benefits of adobe building.
- There are palm trees and cobbled roundabouts and beautiful old adobe buildings.
- They moved silently to the edge of the camp, then slowly made their way behind several mud and adobe buildings.
- It consists of flat-roofed adobe buildings, portions of which are thought to be among the oldest structures in North America.
- Tombstone, an easy day trip from Tucson, does however offer one vision of Arizona's pioneer days: clapboard and adobe buildings, and, of course, re-enacted gunfights.
- The primary building material was large adobe brick, and huge pyramids towered above the city.
- The earthen plaster-covered adobe walls are thick enough to include built-in book-shelves, creating a small library alcove behind the kitchen.
- Drake led Parker in between two adobe buildings.
- Southwestern style homes favor stucco or adobe exteriors and orange or red tile roofs.
- In mountain villages some houses have adobe walls and thatched roofs.
- Wild West history abounds in Mesilla, where adobe buildings dating to the 1800s are still in use as shops and galleries.
- To prevent the clay from becoming adobe brick, she dug in 15 tons of sand, 14 truckloads of composted manure, and 25 large bales of peat moss.
- The spectacular traditional-style adobe building is wonderfully remote and romantic.
- The wrap begins with a dry brush massage before a layer of adobe clay is applied to the entire body.
- Most notably, the Pueblo Indians in the Southwest used adobe masonry to moderate weather extremes and keep their homes comfortable.
- Substituting adobe clay for cement is one option for a more sustainable approach.
- Most of the homes of poor rural people are made of local materials, with floors of packed earth, walls of adobe or wattle and daub, and roofs of clay tiles or thatch.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.