- These species may be metal ions, surface defects, or adsorbed molecules or ions with one or more unpaired electrons.
- The pretreatment by transition metal cations helps to adsorb DNA on mica because it neutralizes the mica surface charge and then weakens the repulsive pressure.
- It has also shed light on how the rhodium metal surface adsorbs and removes carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide gases in car exhaust converters.
- In typical experiments, these condensates are adsorbed to surfaces.
- Thus, the adsorption and affinity of each protein studied should be quite different when they are adsorbed on a hydrophobic surface.
- In nuclear reactors, control rods adsorb atomic particles and control the power of the reactor.
- Second, the system will not work for materials that are strongly adsorbed by, or react with, the system components.
- He experimented by exposing paraffin wax to crushed Salvia leaves and found the solid wax readily adsorbed the volatile terpenes from the air.
- The solute is generally a charged ion which can be adsorbed to the surface, absorbed into the surface, or undergo ion exchange with ions in the mineral.
- Very fine particles adsorb toxic gases and liquids onto their surfaces.
- However, the addition of solid phosphate was not used in subsequent experiments in view of the tendency of flavonoids to adsorb onto solid surfaces.
- During this time the dissolved protein molecules are spontaneously adsorbed on the quartz surface.
- This should not be taken to mean that the steel surface must be awash in water; a very thin adsorbed film of water is all that is required.
- In the open atmosphere many solid materials are covered by a layer of molecules adsorbed from the gas.
- A hydrophilic ion which adsorbs effectively to the surface of the bilayer must necessarily shed its water.
- This is because a certain number of molecules are needed to adsorb at the surface to affect the surface tension.
- This is most likely to be due to variation in Fe distribution within and adsorbed by plant tissues, and it was particularly evident in the root samples.
- Each type of material will move down the column at a different rate, depending on the its solubility and its tendency to be adsorbed.
- This procedure leaves for measurements only these molecules that are strongly adsorbed to the glass surface.
- The catalyst adsorbs both the carbon compound and the hydrogen gas on its surface, in such a way that the molecules are arranged in just the right position for addition to occur.