In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These species may be metal ions, surface defects, or adsorbed molecules or ions with one or more unpaired electrons.
- The pretreatment by transition metal cations helps to adsorb DNA on mica because it neutralizes the mica surface charge and then weakens the repulsive pressure.
- It has also shed light on how the rhodium metal surface adsorbs and removes carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide gases in car exhaust converters.
- In typical experiments, these condensates are adsorbed to surfaces.
- Thus, the adsorption and affinity of each protein studied should be quite different when they are adsorbed on a hydrophobic surface.
- In nuclear reactors, control rods adsorb atomic particles and control the power of the reactor.
- Second, the system will not work for materials that are strongly adsorbed by, or react with, the system components.
- He experimented by exposing paraffin wax to crushed Salvia leaves and found the solid wax readily adsorbed the volatile terpenes from the air.
- The solute is generally a charged ion which can be adsorbed to the surface, absorbed into the surface, or undergo ion exchange with ions in the mineral.
- Very fine particles adsorb toxic gases and liquids onto their surfaces.
- However, the addition of solid phosphate was not used in subsequent experiments in view of the tendency of flavonoids to adsorb onto solid surfaces.
- During this time the dissolved protein molecules are spontaneously adsorbed on the quartz surface.
- This should not be taken to mean that the steel surface must be awash in water; a very thin adsorbed film of water is all that is required.
- In the open atmosphere many solid materials are covered by a layer of molecules adsorbed from the gas.
- A hydrophilic ion which adsorbs effectively to the surface of the bilayer must necessarily shed its water.
- This is because a certain number of molecules are needed to adsorb at the surface to affect the surface tension.
- This is most likely to be due to variation in Fe distribution within and adsorbed by plant tissues, and it was particularly evident in the root samples.
- Each type of material will move down the column at a different rate, depending on the its solubility and its tendency to be adsorbed.
- This procedure leaves for measurements only these molecules that are strongly adsorbed to the glass surface.
- The catalyst adsorbs both the carbon compound and the hydrogen gas on its surface, in such a way that the molecules are arranged in just the right position for addition to occur.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.