In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(furtherance)fomento masculinethe advancement of learning — el fomento de la cultura
- the group works for the advancement of minorities — el grupo trabaja para mejorar la posición de las minorías
- The future advancement of socialism needs input from young activists.
- The motion also seeks to locally effect all international statutes that promote women's advancement and protection.
- The Estonian American community has established a number of institutions to promote advancement in scholarship and education.
- Yet this is a state committed to racial equality, and to promoting black advancement, individually and collectively.
- The office is charged with promoting women's advancement and empowerment in Virgin Islands society.
- I think all people interested in social issues and social advancement for the majority of people, have got to take some notice of that and the impact that it's having.
- To assume that relevant data exist is to beg all the questions relating to the entrepreneurial process of discovering new avenues of advancement.
- Until recently, public life was based on the contest between left and right - between different visions of guaranteeing social advancement for all.
- Mr Pande said governments should formulate laws and plans for the advancement of local entrepreneurs to take up the running of the tourism sector.
- He sits on the board of the Equipment Management Council, which devotes itself to promoting the training and advancement of its members.
- The first is that the economic and social advancement of Maori is critical to New Zealand's future growth, prosperity, and well-being.
- There is no reservation in jobs, no help with education and no program for the social and economic advancement of minorities.
- He insisted that the meeting was designed to ensure the advancement of the integration process and to examine the overall future development of the community.
- Nor does it bode well for Canada's economic advancement or political process, which thrives on a well-educated electorate.
- To him, philanthropy meant community advancement, and community advancement must be the business of all citizens.
- Programme evaluation is critically important to the advancement of correctional rehabilitation knowledge.
- His passion for the maintenance and advancement of world peace is most evident in the creation of the nonprofit Carter Center in Atlanta in 1982.
- As individuals, as communities and as the nation we should adopt an attitude of self-reliance for social upliftment and advancement.
- For both groups, women's social influence and political advancement was at stake.
2formal(in rank)ascenso masculine
- They also creating weak ties among individuals - which may contribute to career advancement.
- A person in one service is unlikely to transfer to another for career advancement.
- These inclinations are apt to be familiar to the many reporters, editors and pundits who feel that career advancement is extremely important.
- In Wales it remained common even in the thirteenth century, and as late as the mid-twelfth was apparently no bar to advancement through the ranks of the higher clergy.
- There are plenty of opportunities for career advancement, but only those who know they'll be absolutely dedicated should join.
- By making yourself visible you automatically increase your career advancement opportunities.
- An assumption exists in this research, and in other research that looks at career advancement, that everyone aspires to promotion.
- It brought an embarrassing public conclusion to a failed bid for status advancement.
- Many news organizations demand a pronounced commitment to diversity as a requirement for career advancement.
- Inequalities still exist: in pay, career advancement and in ‘the double burden’ of paid work and housework.
- I've read a few other biographies that point to the same synergy between civic involvement and career advancement.
- It is an exciting business sector with excellent opportunities for career advancement.
- Opportunities for advancement and promotion are vast for the dedicated, productive hard worker.
- They give their employees opportunities for advancement and assist in career building.
- I saw this as a major career advancement, and jumped at the opportunity.
- He positions the party as a vehicle for career advancement, and not one for the betterment of our society.
- Those who had were not always selected for rapid advancement to senior rank.
- It's just that their conception of what constitutes support is limited very narrowly to career advancement.
- For women, career advancement often means personal sacrifices.
- David, political parties have always been vehicles for career advancement as well as containing people who sought the betterment of society.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.