In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Regular usage was also higher for students who lived in a house that was owned or being paid off compared to those in private or public rental accommodation and for those who lived in the more advantaged areas.
- Based on such limited information, more affluent parents could be encouraged to place their children in schools located in advantaged areas that seem to be producing good results.
- The union faced the task of ensuring that the balance of resources between previously advantaged and disadvantaged areas as well as in skills development was maintained.
- Our aim was not to expose you to only the advantaged areas; we also wanted to expose the disadvantaged areas to you.
- Daley's group may have studied an especially advantaged group of children in 1998 compared with the 1984 sample, she notes.
- In the case of the group, the most reasonable comparison standard was another group, most likely the advantaged group that was perceived as perpetrating the discrimination.
- Conversely, the attainment of all pupils in a school is depressed if a school has few pupils from advantaged backgrounds.
- Figures from National Health Service Scotland show that new mothers from more advantaged backgrounds are on average 12 years older than those from poorer areas.
- The authors' concern that the vulnerability of the poor may jeopardize the well-being of more advantaged members of the same population, is significant.
- Young people from lower participation areas tend to study nearer home than those from the more advantaged areas.
- So I think that spurred me even more into helping those less advantaged than me.
- Some clinical psychiatrists regard students as a relatively advantaged bunch.
- In this population, socially advantaged men perceived themselves to be most stressed, leading to a confounded association between higher stress and better health.
- So a good school whose intake is skewed to lower socio-economic groups will almost certainly struggle to get results as good as a similar school serving a more advantaged area.
- Smoking cessation may be more successful in advantaged groups.
- The most important aspect of this study may be that it draws attention to repeated violence committed by male adolescents in relatively advantaged neighborhoods.
- She said: ‘Our catchment area is more advantaged than other areas of Rochdale.’
- Studies done in the UK of children from two to 11 years show that high early achievers from disadvantaged backgrounds are overtaken between age five and 10 by low early achievers from advantaged backgrounds.
- If anyone can help, they will get the satisfaction of helping someone from a less advantaged background.
- The recognition that the life he rejected is the advantaged life is surprising.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.