In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(lover of adventure)aventurero masculineaventurera feminine
- You and 53 other adventurers will stay aboard the Polar Pioneer, your floating base camp, where you'll have input in planning the ship's day-to-day itinerary.
- They expect to take 10 days to accomplish their Antarctica trip, using their specially designed kite-powered buggies - a journey which normally takes adventurers two months.
- Originally built as a stopover for German adventurers on their way to the North Pole, the huge family-run log cabin stands on the banks of the River Muonio.
- A Russian ship rescued two well-known Canadian adventurers who got caught in a storm while attempting to cross the Bering Straight in a row boat, authorities said today.
- The adventurers, wearing hobnail boots and heavy tweed clothing, disappeared on June 8 1924 and were last seen within 2000 ft of the world's highest peak.
- The Polar Race, which will last between 30 and 40 days, has been organised by two of Britain's leading modern day adventurers.
- Four young adventurers play hide and seek in the country home of an old professor, where they stumble upon an enchanted wardrobe that will take them places they never dreamed.
- Other adventurers came to grief here in 1897 after a failed attempt to fly a balloon from the North Pole.
- AN adventurer from Sheffield has vanished while attempting a solo walk through some of the most inhospitable terrain in the world.
- Charles Lindbergh's stunning crossing of the Atlantic did not stop other aerial adventurers from attempting the flight over that vast ocean.
- No doubt a long swim would get you back to terra firma but, call us wimps, we weren't prepared to risk it - despite John's appeal to the adventurer in us.
- With 15 fellow adventurers, Richard will brave the north side of the mountain, the route taken by doomed explorers Mallory and Irvine in 1924, rather than that taken by Hilary and Norgay Tensing.
- Journeying to unfamiliar spots, eating exotic food, and staying overnight at a variety of places, appeals to many people who are adventurers and explorers at heart.
- The area is a great place for adventurers and people who want a long holiday.
- It is an ideal destination for adventurers with an interest in history and music.
- The millionaire adventurer was the first person to circle the globe solo in a hot-air balloon.
- The plucky adventurer is also attempting to trek up Kilimanjaro in Tanzania in July.
- With the invention of the plane, adventurers sought uncharted areas to explore and limits to be pushed.
- A true adventurer, he is driven purely by thrills, seeking danger and excitement simply because nothing else will do.
- In April last year the Carterton adventurer attempted the first overflight of Mt Cook, only to be turned back by the weather as he got to within 100m of the summit.
2(opportunist)aventurero masculineaventurera femininevividor masculinevividora feminine
- They begin to give their backing to generals who dream of military coups, or to political adventurers and gutter journalists who try to redirect the bitterness of the mass of people against religious or ethnic minorities.
- The socialist order is not a field in which political adventurers can be successful.
- They said that the Germans were furious and obscene at their feasts; the Normans, vain and boastful; the Potevins, traitors and always adventurers.
- In the 1920s British historian Charles Grey savaged the American adventurer as an unhinged embellisher at best, a liar at worst.
- The unsung Victorian adventurer hacked, bullied and charmed his way through uncharted jungle to help establish British colonial rule in Burma.
- More novel is the suggestion that he was a child of 'a golden age of military and political adventurers'.
- With very few exceptions the patriots of this country are all timid adventurers led by ambitious intriguers, avid speculators who never dared to take up arms in our favour.
- The once seamless constitution of the United Kingdom - the product of a millennium of political evolution - has been shredded by this adventurer and his gang of mercenary barrow boys, so that it is now reduced to incoherence.
- He was a skilful politician, but he was not an adventurer or a visionary.
- That is a mask that any political adventurer can put on.
- Its expansive qualities are also evident in its rulership over adventurers, entrepreneurs, risk takers, investors, and explorers.
- This, in effect, brings into replay the colonial practice of extra-territoriality enjoyed by colonisers and adventurers on foreign soils.
- It is the picaresque story of an Irish adventurer who unconsciously reveals his villainy while attempting self-justification.
- European adventurers, pirates and evangelists began flocking to its shores, commencing the systematic plundering of the subcontinent that would continue over subsequent centuries.
- What actually transpired was that an influx of political adventurers swamped the party, particularly at the regional and riding level.
- The play, written between 1613 and 1615, tells the story of Pedro, a loveable trickster, rogue and adventurer, played by John Ramm, who aims to help everyone to gain popularity.
- ‘A bunch of irresponsible adventurers and conspirators has taken the path of seizing power with force,’ he said, adding that he planned to return at some stage.
- As their empires' borders crept closer, so began the Great Game, a melodramatic blend of exploration and intrigue with spies, adventurers and ‘political agents’.
- I am not surprised, because the party has been taken over by a gang of adventurers who are on their way out.
- ‘We will adopt all necessary measures to steadfastly smash any political adventurer aimed at splitting the motherland,’ he said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.