In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The virtue of justice comes wrapped in other tempering traits: gratitude, liberality, affability, and mercy.
- But affability, like intelligence, can mask a mean and meager spirit as well as the absence of a sense of proportion.
- He was a brilliant attorney with a self-effacing kindness and affability unlike any I have ever seen.
- But affability alone does not guarantee success.
- Perhaps his ability to weather the ebb and flow of public fickleness lies in his sheer affability and generosity of spirit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.