In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- With Nobody's Fool he weaves a magic spell with the help of a funny, affecting screenplay and a top notch supporting cast.
- There are some affecting moments at the start of the story.
- Here are two real and affecting characters for whose reunion, at the ballet's climax, the choreographer made one of his most poetic pas de deux.
- There is an affecting description here of a meeting with Jawaharlal Nehru.
- The most affecting scenes in the novel are those depicting the decimation wrought by this plague-like contagion.
- His art at its most affecting projects a harrowing instability.
- This is a lovingly told story of redemption and familial love, but recounted at such close range that every success or failure in this family becomes acutely affecting.
- Still, you'd be hard-pressed to find a fresher, more affecting show in the city this summer.
- But the most affecting interviews are with Youssef, a nine-year-old Egyptian American born and raised in New York City.
- Both novels are perfectly enjoyable, if somewhat flawed in places, and both novelists show sufficient talent and invention to produce further, hopefully more polished and affecting works.
- Like her male counterpart, she always seems to have an affecting awareness of her sidekick status.
- A recent episode elevated this superior soap opera into deeply affecting drama.
- Never was a more beautiful effusion of grief interrupted by a more affecting incident
- With his quiet but affecting meditations on what constitutes the self, Sakuma makes us aware of our relation to others and of our existence and its inevitable end.
- The two deliver strong, affecting performances.
- The few truly affecting moments are overwhelmed by the embarrassing cheese.
- But in general, this is a strong, thought-provoking piece of writing and an impressive, affecting performance.
- In this handsome new collection, the band shows it is justly proud of one of the least affected, most affecting voices around.
- Venus Williams's straight-set victory over sister Serena in the Wimbledon women's semi-finals was the most affecting sports contest in recent memory.
- The whole volume constitutes an effort to resolve a problem that must confront anyone who finds the world a deeply affecting yet intangible chimera.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.