In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(stamp/seal) poner(notice) fijar
- Anyway, I went over to right the fan and after affixing the cover I turned it on.
- Their job was to go through the cards that all the journalists needed to have, register their seats, affixing the numbers to the seat along with the journalists' names.
- I affix a leather saddle to his hairy back and ride him into many righteous battles.
- The bath included a 10-cm glass Petri dish to which tubing was affixed with cyanoacrylate glue.
- Located next to the clip is a hole for affixing a lanyard to the base of the knife.
- Once the border on the wood is engraved, a fine cotton canvas is affixed to the wood with rabbit skin glue - a binding agent that is soaked in water overnight and then heated.
- Until he can find a way to affix them more securely to his house, he says, they will remain stored in his garage.
- And who is responsible for what happens once the photograph is affixed to the gallery wall or printed in the fine volume of war photography?
- The patch is actually affixed to the skin and then, over time, it releases a steady stream of hormones.
- They were affixed to plywood that was displayed on the walkway to Parliament Hill.
- In my effort to ‘push the envelope,’ had I perhaps neglected to affix sufficient postage?
- Make sure your copyright notice is affixed to copies in such manner and location as to give reasonable notice of your copyright.
- Finally, he agreed to sign and affix his fingerprint to the four-page confession the police had written for him.
- My photo is affixed to this document, and it, too, has an official stamp from the government.
- I used double-sided tape to affix the ribbon to the paper.
- At least one fastener affixes the mounting bracket and component to the chassis.
- Each cable also includes an appropriate amount of clips and screws to properly affix the cables to the floor.
- I am enclosing the card on which the Post Office wanted me to affix the necessary stamps.
- Using only my wits and finely honed eye-hand coordination, I successfully affixed two labels.
- It would be relatively easy for every community to affix geodetic coding on the signs as they are placed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.