In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Rebecca, did the dinosaurs come afore man, or at the same time?
- It's all been done before by Nature or those who came afore.
- Shouldn't be long afore we find out who she is.
- A human being's evident fear is that he should die afore his time.
- The stream is murky and my eyes are not so keen as they were ages afore.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.