In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1peinado afro masculine(hairstyle/look) afro
- The men's beards, be they puffy, pointy or kinky, provide visual balance to their outsize Afros.
- His Afro hairstyle was not well combed or groomed.
- It was her mother who broke the deadlock and marched her over to the Beauty School to have the renowned stylists turn her straightish hair into an Afro.
- He is about 5ft 10 ins tall, Afro-Caribbean with quite a large Afro hairstyle and is of a skinny build.
- He went through a black radical period in his twenties, complete with a big Afro, he recounts matter-of-factly, but he grew out of it.
- The driver - a dark, podgy man with a thick Afro haircut - nodded and drove.
- I had a natural Afro and at one point a scraggly beard.
- He had short black Afro style hair and also spoke with a London accent.
- For his costume, the District Court judge donned an orange prison jumpsuit, arm and leg shackles, an Afro wig and black face paint.
- The trappings of black power, Afro clothing, and plaited hair have appeared and disappeared.
- He still had his signature haircut, the Afro, and he dropped his hands to his sides, walking toward me.
- With his bushy Afro, kneepads and high, striped socks, Arizona's senior power forward is called old-school.
- For most of his adult life, he had worn it closely cropped, but several years ago decided to let it grow out into a woolly Afro.
- He now has a pot belly while his Afro haircut of the 1980s has been replaced by a short-cropped style and his beard has gone from black to grey.
- Dressed in 1970s-style winter coats and wearing soft Afros, they smile for the camera.
- We're trying to grow our hair into Afros, but that part isn't working too well.
- His lips are full with a hint of a smile, his gaze intense, his visage emboldened by the tilt of his beret covering his Afro.
- It wasn't far off an Afro; close enough, anyway, to get me into bother with the blatantly bald headmaster at my grammar school.
- I opened the card envelope and pulled out a picture of a young boy with a bushy Afro and glasses as thick as my fingers.
- His Afro adds an entire foot to his height, and his thick, long eyelashes look like they're stuck together with tears.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.