In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There may have been about 150 aftershocks since the weekend earthquake in South Asia.
- The quake, measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale, was followed by an aftershock measuring 5.5.
- Yesterday, we had a tremor that they said was an aftershock from a big earthquake that devastated Turkey.
- The quake occurred more than 10 kilometres deep and was followed by powerful aftershocks.
- Six additional aftershocks were recorded throughout the next day.
- Eventually these gaps are filled by large earthquakes and their aftershocks.
- The earthquake and its aftershocks dislodged many rocks and mines, sending them tumbling onto roads once considered safe.
- He was almost knocked over by the aftershock that followed, but he kept his ground as dust blasted by at hurricane speeds.
- Friday's earthquake and the aftershocks have injured 559 people.
- Seismologists said aftershocks powerful enough to cause heavy damage in the northern region were now highly possible.
- From time to time aftershocks of the earthquake shook the ground, and could even be felt on board ship, seeming to those on board that depth charges were being exploded in the sea.
- Experts say more aftershocks are possible, but they are unlikely to be strong enough to cause more serious damage.
- Some families fled their homes fearing aftershocks, and roads and phone lines were cut off.
- The earthquake was followed by alarming aftershocks up to seven hours later and officials warned of more to come.
- There is shock and bewilderment in surrounding mountain villages too, where the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks have caused landslides.
- He was referring to the aftershocks that invariably follow a large temblor, or main shock.
- Was there a new earthquake or an aftershock, which possibly could be triggering more tsunami waves?
- It was followed by four aftershocks, one of which almost matched the intensity of the first quake, registering 5.2 on the Richter scale.
- These maps graphically illustrate the change in earthquake probability during aftershock and possible foreshock sequences.
- They, too, were followed by waves of aftershocks which hampered rescue work in an area littered with landmines laid during years of war.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.